Monday, October 5, 2009

Gourmet Magazine is Closing

I have mixed feelings about this. I bought this magazine faithfully for at least 20 years, the writing was wonderful, the recipes dependable. Even when I lived in Frobisher Bay (as it was known when I lived there) on Baffin Island, I read Gourmet.

When Ruth Reichl took over as editor I was cautiously optimistic; I hoped that she'd update the magazine while keeping it's spirit intact. Instead she created a messy hodgepodge of a publication that I just couldn't warm up to, and I ceased regularly purchasing the magazine several years ago. (Except for the Christmas edition, always worth buying.)

I have dozens of copies of Gourmet from the 1940s to the 1960s, and I'll continue to treasure them.....but as for what Gourmet magazine has become, I can't say that I'll miss it. I feel for the staff, though; this must be dreadful for them.

No comments: