Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Tutorial...it's Coming Along!

David and I did the final photography for the "Chaos" bead tutorial that I'm writing, I hope to have it available by next weekend, if all goes according to plan. I thought I'd post a few random thoughts about my classes in beadmaking, and how I teach.

1) I've never, ever, asked, told, or insinuated to a student that they should not use the techniques that I've taught them. That would be silly. I teach it....my students have purchased that bit of education, of course they should use it!
Just ask any of my many former students. Suggestions to the contrary are erroneous.

2) I've never, ever, accused anyone of "copying" any of my beads, or any of my techniques. Never.
Suggestions to the contrary are erroneous.

3) I've never, ever, suggested that I was the "first" to use copper mesh in beads, marbles, or in any other form of glass art. Never. Suggestions to the contrary are erroneous.

4) I have developed a very specific technique that uses copper mesh in beads. I am delighted that so many people have been inspired to take this technique and "run with it" in so many creative ways. I will be selling a tutorial that will show the user how to avoid some of the (many) pitfalls inherent in the use of copper, and showing how I do what I do with it.

These things needed to be said, in the worst way, and I've decided that anyone who is interested in the facts can read them here.

(It will be a wordy, possibly annoying tutorial, (called "Making Chaos"), but it will be funny, too. It's how I write.....it's who I am, as a beadmaker, and an educator.

Peace. Please!!

5 comments:

ShellyD said...

Hi Sherry,

Thank you so much for posting this. I am glas I got to read it. I'm so looking forward to your tutorial.

Love and peace.

Michelle
aka ShellyD

ShellyD said...

p.s. that should have been 'glad' - I should learn to read and edit before hitting the send. LOL

Me and My Haute Beadz said...

Sherry,thank you for taking a stand on this issue. I'm so glad you posted your feelings. It's unfortunate some people feel the need to speak for you. I'm anxiously awaiting your tutorial.
Thanks again for your contributions to the bead world.
Vena
aka Haute Beadz

Lisa Rippee said...

You're top notch!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for writing a tutorial on this most awesome technique. I still hope we can get you to KC to teach sometime.

Astrid Riedel said...

Hello Sherry,

I had no idea that the topic became so heated!
I in no way wanted to offend you by trying to figure out you technique. At the time I was not aware that you were going to post a tutorial on this. My sincere appologies.
Astrid Riedel